Netflix original ‘Dare Me’ has SLHS on the edge of their seats

Autumn Mann, Staff Writer

Netflix recently released a show called “Dare Me.” This show was created in December of 2019 and finished in March 2020. “Dare Me” is about a vicious and powerful cheer team that recently received a new coach. This show is about jealousy, competition, friendships, and loyalty and is based on the book Dare me written by Megan Abbott. Unfortunately, the television network USA canceled the show after one season. 

“Dare Me” takes place in a small town with a very competitive and good cheer squad. But with teenagers, there will always be jealousy that lurks even in the best of squads. Jealousy is a nasty thing that can lead to many situations. This show is a dramatic mystery mixed in with a little bit of murder and surprises. As this team struggles to make it to religions so does the trust and loyalty that was once there. As time goes on, the people in the show are filled with guilt, bitterness, satisfaction, and heartbreak. “Dare Me” is recommended for ages 15-19. 

According to thegeekbuzz.com, “A season two Dare Me?” states, “When the first season re-aired the following year on Netflix, it attracted over 43 million viewers and earned a second and third season. ” Annabelle Quinn, the writer of this article believes that Dare Me is a well-written and well-acted out show. 

One student who really enjoys this show is Kiersten Wenzlick. Wenzlick likes this show because it reminds her somewhat of poms on how they are so passionate about winning and getting on top. Wenzlick stated, “‘Dare Me’ is a great show and very addicting. Once you get a taste, you can’t stop watching it.” Wenzlick found out about this show through her friends. She became addicted, and it didn’t take her very long to finish it within two days.