St. Louis students are obsessed with Grey’s Anatomy

Alexandra Pawlitz, Staff Writer

Grey’s Anatomy is an American medical drama television series created by Shonda Rhimes. This series has become incredibly popular over the past 15 years and is considered one of the most popular TV shows on Netflix in 2020. According to YouGov, Grey’s Anatomy is the 66th most popular contemporary TV show with about 7.1 million viewers. This show has aired for 16 seasons as of 2020, but ABC announced May 10, 2019, a 17th season is being produced and will be the final season. It was revealed that star Ellen Pompeo signed on for not just one, but two more seasons way back when we were still excited about season 15. Her contract was supposed to end at the end of the current chapter, but she extended it by a year. 

Madison Lambert commented, “I’m super excited for season 17 to be released. The way the producers ended season 16 left me with a big cliffhanger so I’m super anxious to see what season 17 has to hold.”

Grey’s Anatomy is based on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors. This medical-based drama is centered around Meredith Grey, who is the daughter of famous surgeon Ellis Grey. Grey is first featured as an intern at Seattle Grace Medical Hospital and later becomes the chief of general surgery, all while exploring the ups and downs of a surgeon’s life. In the beginning, five interns, which consist of Alex Karev, Christina Yang, Izzie Stevens, George O’Malley, and Meredith Grey, work together as a group to advance through their surgical careers. After becoming residents, each of them follow their own journey and continue with their careers in different places. Each episode consists of doctors treating patients of many ages, and every patient has a different medical condition. As these doctors treat different patients, they discover that neither medicine nor relationships can be defined in black and white. Real life only comes in shades of grey.

When I first started watching Grey’s Anatomy, I was instantly shocked at the amount of intensity, and I fell in love with this show after episode one. It’s so cliche to say that I was hooked on this show because that’s not the truth, I was obsessed. I watched 15 seasons in six months, and this show became my number one. I’ve watched some pretty great TV shows, but nothing compares to Grey’s Anatomy. Whenever I would get to the end of an episode, I would instantly click the next episode button because each episode ended with a cliff hanger, and I had to find out what happened in the next episode. Each episode is a new adventure, and I love how the writer kept adding in new characters as the show progressed. I highly recommend this show to anyone who’s interested in pursuing a career in the medical field or simply anyone who wants to watch something new because this show is for everyone! 

Leah Chvojka mentioned, “I loved the Greys because there were so many plot twists. Shonda really gives you a chance to get attached to characters, and then she twists that attachment to the characters so it keeps you wanting more. I have rewatched the Greys countless times, and I never get sick of it.”