Shark Scene

• November 5Girls' XC 10th at state; Libby Munderloh and Mikenna Borie earn all-state honors!

How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?

Lauren+Sherwood+is+dismayed+at+the+sight+of+her+empty+bucket
Lauren Sherwood is dismayed at the sight of her empty bucket

Lauren Sherwood is dismayed at the sight of her empty bucket

Sarah Humphrey

Sarah Humphrey

Lauren Sherwood is dismayed at the sight of her empty bucket

Sarah Humphrey, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Halloween is a holiday that kids look forward to every year. They love dressing up and finding the best costume that represents what they like and are interested in. They love the parties and hanging out with friends. Most importantly to them, however, is the candy. Getting a huge haul of all the best treats is every kid’s Halloween dream. Yet, children grow up, and holidays stop holding their special magic. Or do they? How old is too old to dress up and go trick-or-treating?

Usually, holiday parties and parades stop being a classroom staple in middle school. Once you reach sixth grade, you normally don’t lug your costume to school or bring in snacks for the class party on Halloween. Does that mean kids don’t go trick-or-treating after that? No, many young teenagers still hunt for a costume and trudge through the town collecting candy; older teenagers do as well. At what age is the limit crossed?

“No age is too old to go trick-or-treating,” Kendal Bott commented. “You’re never too old to have fun. Plus, it’s free candy!”

Jaycup Smith agreed, saying, “I don’t feel like you can be too old to go trick-or-treating. I think you can be any age. It’s a holiday, and it’s something fun to do. It’s cool to dress up as your favorite character.”

Personally, I don’t think it’s inherently wrong for older teens to go trick-or-treating. They aren’t harming anybody, and they’re just trying to have fun. On the other hand, those kids who just show up in regular clothes and a sour expression begging for anything free ruin the fun for everybody else. I don’t really think there’s an age limit for Halloween, as long as you’re having fun and not ruining the festivities for everybody else.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?”

1. Zach Starry on October 8th, 2018 2:38 pm

Dear Sarah Humphrey,

I personally liked the overall message of this article. I do not enjoy trick or treating anymore but I am not against others who do. I feel as though you could have managed to get one more quote in. The article could have been a little longer potentially.

Sincerely, Zach Starry

2. Alex Baxter on October 9th, 2018 8:44 am

Dear, Sarah Humphrey

I Like your Article and I think that there should not be an age limit on trick or treating. However I think that at a certain point, for example if you are an adult and have children, that you shouldn’t/ aren’t going to get any candy.

3. Sarah Simmons on October 19th, 2018 2:24 pm

I agree whole heartedly. Halloween is about dressing up like a nerd (no judgements allowed) and getting free candy, not age. Also you can meet people that know what you were trying to look like.

4. Kaylyn Collins on October 19th, 2018 2:28 pm

Dear Sarah Humphrey,

I agree one hundred percent that their shouldn’t be an age limit on having some fun on a fun-filled holiday, such as, Halloween. It shouldn’t matter if your five or fifteen, dressing up as whatever you want and getting some safe, delicious candy does no harm. I think this was a great opinion topic to write about.

5. xader on October 26th, 2018 10:30 am

I think you are never to old to go trick or treating at least thats my opinion.

6. Dear, Sarah Humphrey on October 26th, 2018 1:31 pm

I loved this message and i agree with everyone else you can never be to old to go trick or treating. It keeps kids from getting in trouble on Halloween. Personally though I think you should’ve got a quote from one of the adults and got their opinion. Other than that i loved the article nice job.

Love, Brooke Erskin

7. Alex Baxter on November 8th, 2018 2:48 pm

I think you’re never too old to trick or treat.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left
  • How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?

Opinion

When do you become an adult?

• How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?

Opinion

Halloween 2018 movie review

• How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?

Opinion

The House with a Clock in its Walls, is it worth seeing?

• How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?

Opinion

Psychotic justice at it’s finest

• How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?

Opinion

Technology: a new zone of isolation?

• How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?

Opinion

Should students be able to grade their teachers?

• How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?

Opinion

Eminem responds to MGK

• How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?

Opinion

Is coffee really healthy?

• How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?

Opinion

Teaching: a profession that’s losing its charm?

• How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?

Opinion

Is Fortnite dying?

Navigate Right
The Student News Site of St. Louis High School
How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?