When is it appropriate to celebrate Christmas?

A Christmas Tree is erected more than a month before Christmas.

Rowan Harris

Rowan Harris, Writer

The holiday season is fast approaching, yet to some, it’s already here. The timing of when exactly Christmas celebrations are supposed to start isn’t clear. Some students at St. Louis High School start the celebrations immediately after Halloween is over, and some wait until the winter holiday is only a week away. It’s a clear tossup about when exactly Christmas should start, and St. Louis High School is divided.

A large number of students at SLHS, like junior Balin Kolhoff and freshman Harley Mader, think that the Christmas celebrations start immediately after Halloween ends. While this is a contentious point, it seems to be a pretty popular opinion. In fact, celebrities like Mariah Carey have even poked fun at the immediate Halloween-to-Christmas jump. On her TikTok page, Carey posted a humorous clip involving her famous song, “All I Want for Christmas is You,” where she immediately transitioned from a witch costume to a fun, Santa-inspired outfit.

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year,” argued Kolhoff, an avid Christmas enthusiast. “There’s just a certain joy that I feel during this time of the year. It’s just so merry and festive, how could you not enjoy it?”

“It’s never too early,” agreed Mader, another Christmas-after-Halloween supporter.

However, the belief that the jolliest season of all begins immediately after Halloween isn’t shared by every student at St. Louis. In fact, some teachers even share this opinion. Miss Kisser, St. Louis’ Spanish teacher, thinks that there should be a bit of a cooldown period between the two important dates.

“I am firm on this,” Kisser remarked. “No Christmas until after Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, no Christmas celebration until after Thanksgiving!” 

Whether you start all things merry and bright right after the fake skeletons are put away, or if you choose to wait a few weeks to start the celebrations, your opinion is a part of the holiday tossup at St. Louis High School.