Pearls are a big hit at SLHS

Autumn Mann

St. Louis student shows of their pearls.

Maria Puga-Trevino, Staff Writer

Nothing is better than matching pearls with an outfit. Pearls are the type of jewelry that one can dress up with or dress down with. Whether it’s costume jewelry or the real deal, students at St. Louis high school, wear them with pride. 

Mikayla Haag, a junior at St. Louis, states, “I really like pearls. I have a few real ones as well. I think you can wear pearls with anything! Whether it’s dressing up, or just wearing street clothes, pearls look good with everything!”

Another student, Landon Gall, a junior at SLHS said, “I don’t know much about pearls, but if I see a girl walking around wearing some, I know she’s high class.” Gall says although he wouldn’t wear pearls himself, he respects whoever decides to do so.

As people walk the halls with these pretty jewels, they might think about how pretty they are. However, one may think, “How are these made? Where do they come from?” According to Hatton Jewels, “A pearl is formed when an irritant, such as a parasite or piece of shell, becomes accidentally lodged in an oyster’s soft inner body, causing it to secrete a crystalline substance called nacre as a defense mechanism, which builds up around the irritant in layers until a pearl is formed. This natural phenomenon is what creates what we now we refer to as Natural Pearls.”

Personally, I love pearls! I have a few real necklaces that my grandmother gave me, and I have worn them a few times. After all, it is said that it is good to wear pearls so they don’t discolor. They yellow when they are stored away in a dry environment for extended periods of time. As a result, the pearls become yellow and brittle. This could allude to someone thinking the pearl is fake; however, fake pearls do not change color at all. They are manufactured into the beautiful pearly-white color everyone knows and loves!

It is very evident that the trend of wearing pearls hasn’t lost its charm after all! Who knows how long this trend will continue on for!