A Court of Thorns and Roses continues to keep readers on their toes

A+student+reads+A+Court+of+Throne+and+Roses+during+some+free+time+in+class.+

Autumn Mann

A student reads A Court of Throne and Roses during some free time in class.

Bee Elsea, Staff Writer

We all know how the story of cause and effect works. If the character of a novel didn’t do something, then the story would have never happened. Sarah J. Mass, an American author, wrote one of her famous book series concluding how elaborate that cause and effect chain can work. A Court of Thorns and Roses was Maas’ second book series that she had written, following a human girl named Feyre and her journey of consequences after a simple hunting spree to salvage food for her family. 

Maas published the adult fantasy romance, A Court of Thorns and Roses in May of 2015. Goodreads provided a well-written summary within the link to order the book that says, “When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a terrifying creature arrives to demand retribution. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she knows about only from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not truly a beast, but one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled her world.”

Yes, faeries. These aren’t the winged creatures like Tinkerbell. Faeries are much different than fairies, and it’s highly recommended you do research on them both to understand the differences.

The book reached popularity quickly due to Maas’ recognition with her first book series, Throne of Glass. Maas was only 16 when she began writing her first book series, originally naming it Queen of Glass as she published it to FictionPress.com, where it became one of the most popular books on the site. She proceeded to finish the series concluding eight books, moving on to the topic of this writing.

There are five books to A Court of Thorns and Roses, ending with the last book called A Court of Silver Flames. The book series itself is called the same as the first book title. Maas finished the series in 2021.

Students in St. Louis High School are starting a fame-starter for this book, including teachers! “I personally think the first book is one of the best in the series, contrasting the second book perfectly,” said Lexie Thayer. “This series isn’t the first I’ve read of Maas’. I’ve also read her Crescent City series, which I recommend to anyone who loves A Court of Thorns and Roses.” Like most of the people who read the series, Thayer feels the targeted audience is young adults, especially those who are lovers of fantasy-romance. Beware those who wish to read, this series contains mature scenes and recommends readers to be 13 or older before reading this book.