Junior class wins Spread the Love competition

Juniors Carson Butcher and Myah Pitcher pose in front of their wall.

Rowan Harris

Rowan Harris, Writer

The junior class took the win for the February Spread the Love wall decoration competition at St. Louis High School Monday, Feb. 21. The contest, hosted by GSA, prompted all grades to create a board inspired by the theme, “Spread the Love.”The grades were given  until Tuesday, Feb. 14, to work on the boards.

Gender Sexuality Alliance club advisor Megan Kaiser, an English teacher at St. Louis, explained what the purpose of the board decorating contest was. 

“GSA really wanted to do something this year that would encourage kindness and acceptance. During the winter months especially, we wanted to bring some joy to our hallways,” Kaiser elaborated.

From the student perspective, GSA president Curtis expanded more on what exactly the inspiration behind the event was.

“Pinterest,” joked Brashaw. “Pinterest was the main inspiration. The GSA then got together to discuss the idea and really make it relevant to our school.”

This competition brought out the competitive sides of students, especially in the junior class. Lexie Thayer, a junior who helped make the board really come to life, commented on its appearance.

“The junior class really put a lot of effort and hours into the board,” shared Thayer. “I think it’s deserving that we won.”

“I am not sure if this contest will continue next year, but I could see it happening again. I was really impressed with all the displays this year,” stated Kaiser. “Every single class went above and beyond my expectations. I am so proud of our students for stepping up to the challenge. It might be an idea we continue with for next year!”

The junior victors celebrated their win Wednesday, March 1 with a dessert party in the media center.