SLHS Varsity Bowling Team competes against Nouvel!

Courtesy photo

Former coach Matt Bernia comes to show his support for his senior bowlers.

Natalie Lemert, Staff Writer

SLHS varsity bowling teams competed against Nouvel Saturday Jan. 28 at The Pins in Ithaca. 

The girls’ team shut out the Nouvel Panthers with a score of 30-0. Devine Francisco commented, “Individually, I feel like I did the best I could do for that day, being that we were there from 8:30 in the morning and we didn’t play until 11:30.  I am proud of our team. We all did the best that we could do that day even if we were all very tired.”

On the guys’ side they ended up falling short against the Panthers. Boys bowling captain Dylan Luft commented, “Our first match was a bye so we had to wait and play cards which was fun. But with not many practice throws, we had to go into the match. We worked hard to keep  morals up and did our best bowling. Sadly, we didn’t pull through to a victory. The other team had the best bowler in the league bowling solid strikes for a bunch of frames. It was a great day though, and the senior night was still fun.”

The senior bowlers were celebrated and thanked for their hard work and dedication to the bowling program. Saint Louis High School always recognizes its senior athletes because without them the sports programs would not be successful. They have worked hard throughout high school and deserve to be recognized. Senior and four year bowler Alex Hardy expressed, “It was nice to finally get recognized for all the hard work I put in all four years of high school. It was nice to also see the other seniors alongside me who have also put in a lot of hard work over the years getting recognition.”

When asked about the new coaching staff Francisco added, ”I wouldn’t say it’s hard, it’s just different I guess. Because we have had the coaches since the start of the season, and when our head coach left they knew they needed to take charge and work us up to be the best that we can be, just like he did.”

The bowling team will be back in action Saturday Feb. 4, for TVC competition at Main Street Lanes Bowling Alley in Standish with competition beginning at 9:00 a.m.