Shark Scene

• November 5Girls' XC 10th at state; Libby Munderloh and Mikenna Borie earn all-state honors!

SLHS sharks check out College 101!

The college 101 group poses for a photo.

Terri Reeves

Terri Reeves

WilFred Howey, Staff Writer

This year St. Louis High School was invited again to College 101 Oct. 12, 2018. College 101 is an activity for sophomores to go to Central Michigan University to learn about what they have to offer for college and to learn a little bit more about what students should expect coming into the first year of college. The trip consisted of leaving the school at 8:30 A.M., watching a presentation, walking around the campus, talking about student interests, talking about life goals, visiting dorms, eating lunch, watching people perform, and watching a college lecture.

Getting off the bus, students immediately went to the first room to have some of the college students talk to them and do a presentation. After watching the presentation, the college students had the sophomores write down some questions they had about college, which were answered promptly. Soon the students broke up into groups to play some games including Ninja and Me Too.
Students were then shown what dorms looked like and how the students would function in one. After showing the students the dorms, the volunteers took them to an auditorium to talk a little bit and to find out some of the student’s goals. The volunteers gave each student three starbursts and each starburst color had a different question the students had to answer about life goals. Tannah Nicholson said, “I really enjoyed myself. I think my favorite part of the day was talking to all the nice volunteers and learning about what classes I can take.”

Later, during lunch, the volunteers took the students to their “all-you-can-eat” cafeteria. Students ate lunch for about an hour while chatting with their peers and the volunteers. While eating, students could have basically anything they wanted which included lunch, dinner, breakfast, snacks, and dessert. Elizabeth Romero said, “The food was definitely my favorite part of the day, but singing and dancing on stage is a close second.”

After lunch, the volunteers took the students to another auditorium where the volunteers showed them their talents which were singing and poetry. After the volunteers were done, some students came up on stage to show their talents. The students who came up on stage were Shannan Mitchell (singing), Faith Owen (singing), Elizabeth Romero (singing and dancing), Dylan Crandall, WilFred Howey, Andrew Jourdan, Dylan Rule, Brooklyn Shrader, and Izaak Warden (all together singing), and Victoria Carroll (Improv comedy).

Finally, students went to another part of the University to watch a college lecture. The college lecture was for a psychology class, and the professor was talking about how in society, almost everyone believes what they hear. If someone asks what the most dangerous dog is, most would say it is the pitbull, yet it is actually a Dutch Shepherd. People think it is the pitbull because as they were raised, they heard about dog fights and Pitbulls being in them.

All in all, College 101 at CMU was a blast for most if not all the students. College 101 should make a version for Juniors to go to learn more about what college has to offer. Even though some of the students don’t yet know what they want to do as a career, College 101 expressed more ideas about what they can be and what the university has to offer.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “SLHS sharks check out College 101!”

1. Brooklyn Shrader on October 19th, 2018 1:27 pm

Honestly, this experience was one of the coolest things I’ve ever been a part of! It was a lot of fun to sing Country Roads with everyone! I hope that there will be another chance for me to go again. (Hopefully for college)

2. Kolin Lyon on October 19th, 2018 2:27 pm

I liked how you wrote in this article. I don’t see anything that you need to fix or add. So, great job Will.

3. Dawson Brundage on October 19th, 2018 2:32 pm

I really liked how you structured this article, I really liked it.

4. xander on November 8th, 2018 10:01 am

I SEE MY FRIEND HIIII JAYDEN!!!!

5. Rafael Orta-Vazquez on November 8th, 2018 10:21 am

I thought it was a great article and I don’t think there was anything you needed to change. Good job. I can’t wait to go there myself.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• SLHS sharks check out College 101!

News

SLHS Students react to recent legalization of recreational marijuana.

• SLHS sharks check out College 101!

News

Voting and St. Louis high school students

• SLHS sharks check out College 101!

News

Navy Officer visits St. Louis P.E. class

• SLHS sharks check out College 101!

News

Diamond Neph wins Best Script in MACTV competition

• SLHS sharks check out College 101!

News

Apple pie fundraiser begins!!

• SLHS sharks check out College 101!

News

Language Arts Club second competition!!

• SLHS sharks check out College 101!

News

Halloween costumes for 2018!

• SLHS sharks check out College 101!

News

SLHS’ most successful blood drive ever!!

• SLHS sharks check out College 101!

News

National Honor Society conducts costume drive

• SLHS sharks check out College 101!

News

SLHS Marching Band finishes second at Alma College competition

The Student News Site of St. Louis High School
SLHS sharks check out College 101!