SLHS Wrestling Competes at first TVC competition

Autumn Mann

SLHS Senior Wrestler Justice Onstott after his match.

Jaiden Dickman, Writer

The Saint Louis Sharks Wrestling team competed in their first Tri Valley Conference competition Jan. 4, 2023,against both Standish Sterling and Michigan Lutheran Seminary. 

The Sharks beat the Panthers 43-38 and they also beat the Cardinals 57-15. Winning with pins were; Colin Kuhn, Alex Rodriguez, Ben March, Trenton Farkas, Justice Onstott, and Ramon Anguiano. Winning by points were Drew Challender, and Mike Borie.

Coach Kuhn said, “The opener against Standish was kind of an ugly win. The atmosphere was low energy, and the hour and a half bus trip certainly didn’t help. I think we did what we needed to do to win. Mike Borie had a really nice night and quality wins for us against both teams. We do have to wrestle better at our next meet to beat Millington, which will put us in the driver’s seat to win the league.” 

Junior Ben March said, “We did not perform at our highest level. We gave up pins we shouldn’t have. However, we came away with two wins and started out undefeated in the league thus far.”  

This is the first of four TVC tri-competitions that lead up to the TVC tournament Feb. 4, 2023, at Alma High School. The team with the most wins throughout the TVC competitions will be seeded first going into the tournament. Then at the TVC tournament all the teams in the TVC will compete for the league title.  The Sharks  competed at the Bob Threloff Invite on Jan. 7, 2023, in the Shark Tank. The next competition will take place at home against Carrolltonand Millington. The match against Millington will show a preview of the teams working toward theTVC title.