SLHS BPA competes at regional competition

Andrea Biehl

SLHS BPA Stand together before the Regional award ceremony.

Natalie Lemert, Writer

Members of Business Professionals of America competed in their regional competition Saturday, Jan. 7, at Central Michigan University. 

Members had been working hard in preparation for this competition, and their hard work paid off with many advancing to the state conference. There are three different levels of competition for BPA; regional, state, and national level. At the regional level, the top five individuals and top two teams advance to the state competition. Saint Louis is in region eight, which is one of the most competitive regions in the state. 

Medalists on the day included: Jenna Abell, Curtis Brashaw, Carson Butcher, Jaiden Dickman, Ava Frost, Dominick Girard, Tyson Head, Adrianna Horton, Kiernan Hougaboom, Briana Howard, Natalee Hoyt, Balin Kolhoff, Payton Kuhn, Gracie Lombard, Lucee Mikek, Devante Nava, Landon Pestrue, Marlena Pestrue, Josie Scrot, Hayden Shattuck, and Lexie Thayer.

The day started out bright and early when students met at the school at 7:00 a.m. For some students competition started as early as 9:00 a.m. Events were taking place all morning and afternoon, times varied as to when students competed. Most students competed in two events. After students finished their events, they played games and just hung out with one another. Students also walked to different places for lunch. 

Vice President Curtis Brashaw commented, “There were a few moments I really liked from that day: first being when three Clare kids and two St. Louis kids were called up for top five and Saint Louis was on top; second being St. Louis dominated for Human Resource Management.”

New BPA member Lexie Thayer shared,“I like the independence. We were trusted to do what we needed to do. I’m excited to advance to the state conference and meet new people.”

Members of Business Professionals of America will be back in action for State March 9-12, 2023, in Grand Rapids.