Shark Scene

• November 5Girls' XC 10th at state; Libby Munderloh and Mikenna Borie earn all-state honors!

Psychotic justice at it’s finest

Wilfred's take on latest Saw saga

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Wilfred Howey, Staff Writer

Saw— most horror movie lovers have at least one of the movies from the series in there top 10 best horror movies. According to Reece Giles, “I really enjoy the Saw movies a lot, but Saw 2, my favorite Saw movie, is not in my top 10 horror movies list.” When I heard there was a new Saw movie coming out after Saw: The Final Chapter called Jigsaw, I was both excited and skeptical. I knew I had to watch to see if Jigsaw was going to be as good or better than its predecessors.

I layed down with my bowl of popcorn ready for the gorefest to begin. Jigsaw was jam-packed with blood, gore, twists and turns, new technology-based torture machines, and best of all, Jigsaw’s psychotic justice. The producers were very smart with how they played this Saw movie. The producers knew the viewers wanted more blood, more contraptions, some mystery, and a little bit of humor.

I loved the new torture contraptions they introduced. Every time they introduce a new contraption, it always has so much thought behind it. The way they build Jigsaw is also amazing. Every demented piece of his backstory truly shows why he is the way he is today. I love that when Jigsaw is talking, you just sit and listen. If you are like me, then you sit and analyze the words he says as he is saying them– trying to fit them together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

However, some of the ways they executed these ideas were far from amazing.  One idea, in general, they tried to include was mystery. The producers tried to make it so that almost everyone in the movie was a suspect. Yet, within 10 to 20 minutes I had already guessed who the killer was and found myself listing out loud the reasons why.

Also, the way they executed the ending seemed recycled. The ending was like Saw 2’s ending, but just a little different. That must have been the original idea for the ending.

All in all, I thought, for what it was worth, Saw was pretty good but will not exist in my top 10 horror movies. If you are a fan of the Saw movies and are there to just see a lot of blood, gore, new contraptions, and a little bit more Jigsaw backstory, than this is the movie for you. If you are there for an interesting movie with a lot of twists and turns and a great ending, then this most definitely is not the movie for you.