SLHS Varsity Girls’ wins against Merrill!

This+picture+showcases+Josie+Schrot%2C+who+was+a+key+component+of+the+game+against+Merill.+

Autumn Mann

This picture showcases Josie Schrot, who was a key component of the game against Merill.

Olivia Good, Staff Writer

The varsity girls basketball team took on the Vandals of Merrill Monday, Jan. 9, at the Shark Tank. The tip-off was at 6 p.m. and right from the gate the Sharks dominated the Vandals on the court and ended the game by a score of 58-16. Taking home that win improves the girls to 6-3 on the season. 

Josie Schrot was a huge scorer on the night. Last season she broke the school record for most three-pointers scored in one game by scoring seven three-pointers. Last night she tied that record by hitting another seven threes throughout the blowout game against Merrill. Throughout the game, Schrot and the rest of the team had the student section on their feet with the intense shooting and amount of teamwork displayed. 

Natalee Hoyt was the second-highest scorer with eight points and nine rebounds on the night. Jaszmin Harbor was not far behind Hoyt ending the game with eight points and five rebounds.

Hoyt commented, “I am so proud of our team for last night. We came out ready to play and ready to dominate the competition. We worked as a team and never gave up all throughout the game. We did really well at not being in our own heads and being focused on the game at hand. We all had amazing games last night despite being disappointed about the game last Friday night. I think we redeemed ourselves and picked ourselves up from that loss. I’m very excited to see what the rest of the regular season has in store for us as a team.”

Sophomore, Zoey Clarke had this to say, “I feel as though the team really pushed through the struggles and mental blocks. We worked as a team and did really well at swinging the ball around and looking for open shots. I am very happy that we pulled out the win last night and I can’t wait to play Tuesday.”

The team will be back in action with the JV girls Tuesday, Jan. 10, at the Shark Tank taking on Standish Sterling. The JV will tip off at 6 p.m., and Varsity will follow at 7:30 p.m.