SLHS Wrestling competes at home quad meet against Chesaning and Pine River High Schools

Autumn Mann

SLHS Wrestler Michael Borie prepares for his match.

Jaiden Dickman, Writer

The Sharks wrestling team competed Dec. 7, 2022, at their home quad meet against Chesaning and Pine River High Schools. The Sharks won both of their matches defeating Pine River 51 to 16 and Chesaning 57 to 21. The Sharks are currently ranked third in division four behind New Lothrop and Hudson.

Helping contribute to both big wins were; Colin Kuhn, Ben March, Laythan Haworth, Dylan Marr, Josh Dew, and Justice Onstott. All of these athletes won both of their matches on the night. 

Coach Kevin Kuhn said, “We had a great opening night. Beating a team like Pine River is always a plus because the Bucks are a team that is always winning regionals and wrestling at team state. We looked pretty solid in that dual. However, our second match against Chesaning provided a bit of a let down. We had a lot of time between the two matches and that probably hurt us and took away some focus.” 

Coach Kuhn reached his 300th win that night as well. At the end of the season last year he was at 299 wins. He was awarded with a plaque after the first match last night against Pine River. The plaque was presented by former coach Bob Threloff and the ceremony was recited by former middle school coach Pat Mclaughlin. 

Junior Ben March said, “So for me individually, it was really nice to open the season with two straight wins. The last-second victory was cool and made me feel like all the hard work was starting to pay off. As for the team, we did our job against solid opponents. We did an outstanding job staying off our backs and picking up pins where we needed to.” 

Junior Josh Dew had a great opening night with two quick pins to end his matches. 

Dew said, “Individually, I just went out there to perform for my team and put on a show for the home crowd as the season opener. I knew what I needed to do to establish the pace of the match and just kept attacking until the match was over. As a team, it was great to be all together again and see some new faces as well. Had some grudge matches from last year that we were excited to watch and see all the hard work pay off and see someone like Ben March beat a kid to who he lost to last year. The sky is the limit for us, and we will continue to grow and learn as a team as there were some ups and downs.” 

The Sharks competed in Herm Wilkinson Highlander Classic,  Dec. 10, at Howell High School.