SLHS Varsity Football wins against Hemlock 12-10!

This+picture+captures+Thomas+Zacharko+carrying+the+ball+down+the+field.+

This picture captures Thomas Zacharko carrying the ball down the field.

Autumn Mann, Editor

St. Louis High School Varsity Football won for the first time against Hemlock in program history, Oct. 14, in the Shark Tank by a score of 12-10!

Along with this epic win, this was also senior night for the band, cheer, poms, and of course the football team. Not only did they make SLHS proud, but they were also able to make their parents proud as well. Before the game, while the boys’ sat down for the dinner together as always, they were given a pregame talk of encouragement from Wesley Dew, which helped lead them to victory. 

The varsity football seniors’ offensive line did wonders for the team along with freshman Micheal Borie who had 39 yards receiving and his first high school career touchdown! The seniors were carried by Tegan Inbody throwing for 241 yards, Thomas Zacharko with 94 yards receiving along with a rushing touchdown, RJ Macias who had 54 yards receiving, Wisdom Zanquo with 49 yards receiving, and Ashton Lenoard with 19 yards receiving. The offensive line had great blocking all throughout the night!

For the defense, SLHS had many great tackles along with forced fumbles. Junior Nick Wirgau and Zacharko led the team in tackles with 11.5. Zacharko had three forced fumbles along with Lenoard who had five tackles. Junior Ramon Anguiano had four stops with two tackles for losses. 

Macias expressed, “It was a rough start from the first half. The score was only 0-10, then during the half-time, we had a great talk from our coaches and we started to believe we could actually win, and so we did.”

Freshman Laythan Haworth also expressed, “I think we started slow but then we were able to step it up and become more of a team to pull the win through.” 

The Sharks will be traveling, to Houghton Lake Oct. 22, for their last game, and kick-off is at noon.