SLHS Varsity Football team brings home their first big win

Jaiden Dickman, Writer

The Saint Louis Varsity Football team competed Oct. 7, at Valley Lutheran High School and went back and forth with the hosts before the Sharks won by the final score of 28- 21.

The offense for the night had a total of 471 total yards.  Leading the team was Thomas Zacharko who threw for 150 yards and rushed for 154 yards. Wizdom Zanquo had 146  receiving yards for the night. Tegan Inbody rushed for 129 yards, and all three players were a part of touchdowns. 

On the defensive end, Nick Wirgau had 13.5 tackles and led the defense. 

Coach Jeff Oswald said, “It was great to put a “w” on the board last week at Valley Lutheran.  Many of our young men have been investing their time, blood, sweat, and tears since the beginning of the summer, and we are starting to see the dividends.  We are such a young team, starting a number of freshmen at key positions, yet I do not hear our players using that as an excuse.  Instead, our players show up every week working to get better.  Our goal is to win our last three games to send our seniors out well, and to build for the future.” 

Junior Nick Wirgau said, “I think the whole team gave their best effort, and it finally showed at the end of the game.” 

Senior Payton Kuhn, a fan in the student section, said, “It was fun to finally win, which is something we are not used to; it was encouraging to the team and the student section was happy to be there.” 

This was the football team’s first win of the season which was a big accomplishment for such a young team. 

The Sharks’ season is coming to a close with only two games left. The team plays again at home Friday Oct. 14, with a 7 p.m. kickoff.