SLHS Cross team takes on the Flat and Fast race at the Al Kayner Delta

This+photo+captures+Ben+March+as+he+races+toward+the+finish+line.+

Bobbie Marr

This photo captures Ben March as he races toward the finish line.

Jaiden Dickman, Writer

The Saint Louis cross country team competed Saturday, Sept.24 at the Al Kayner Delta two mile. Both the boys’and girls’ teams won for the small school division. 

The weather was cold and rainy, this helped lead the athletes to a fast finish. The Delta two-mile is a favorite among the Shark runners. It is a flat and fast two-mile race instead of the typical 5k race. 

The boys’ had multiple top 30 finishes for the day as well as taking first and second individually for the small school division. Junior Ben March, finished first for the small school division in 10:25, Landon finished second in 10:45, Dylan Marr sixth in 11:09, 11th Colin Kuhn in 11:43, and coming in fifth for the team Alex Rodriguez finished 12th in 11:43. The boys’ team finished first twenty points ahead of Sanford Meridian. 

The girls’ team also finished first overall, 19 points ahead of Breckenridge. Leading the top five was Jaiden Dickman, who finished second for the small school division in a time of 12:22.77. Abby Dice was fifth in a time of 13:38.51, Natalie Lemert in 8th in a time of 14:00.97, Laney Pestrue 9th in a time of 14:10.64, and Payton Kuhn, rounding out the top five, finished 10th in a time of 14:16.10. 

Coach Jay Puffpaff said, “It was a great change of pace for our athletes, we got the opportunity to turn the legs over and run fast.” 

Freshman Aeralyn Leonard said, “ It was early, wet, and cold. We ran well and got first, so I would say it was a good run.” 

The Sharks next competition was on Tuesday, Sept. 27 at Immerman Park. This is the second Tri-Valley Conference meet of the season.