New face at SLHS: Mr. Bernia!

Sarah Humphrey

Mr. Bernia works on a project in his shop

Sarah Humphrey, Staff Writer

Mr. Bernia is one of the new teachers who has joined the St. Louis High School staff this year. He teaches Leadership, Animal Science, Plant Science, Natural Resources and Wildlife Management, and Agriculture Shop. He is also the advisor for the St. Louis National FFA Organization Chapter.

Bernia grew up in Akron, Michigan, where he worked on his family’s farm. He went to Unionville-Sebewaing Area High School, where he participated in many extracurriculars. After high school, Mr. Bernia attended Michigan State University, getting his associate’s degree in Agricultural Industries. He finally transferred to the University of Wisconsin for his bachelor’s in Agricultural Education.

Mr. Bernia came to SLHS because he felt at home here. Well, more accurately, “close to home, but far enough away where my mom and dad can’t just surprise visit.” Bernia loved the atmosphere here, finding it “enthusiastic and fun.” Something that surprised him here was the students. He is in awe of how kind and inclusive the student body is. Bernia also mentioned that he really enjoys working with the teaching staff at St. Louis High School, saying that they are extremely helpful and fun-loving.

In his free time, Mr. Bernia enjoys many different activities. He likes reading, going to concerts, playing instruments, fishing, and watching Netflix. In addition to this, he is an Agricultural Education Advocate.

Mr. Bernia is a kind and fun personality, and he is making a great addition to the teaching staff. One last thing that he would like to be known is this: “If you are interested in joining FFA or taking an ag class, please come down to room 1117 and chat with me!”