Varsity football off to rough start

RJ+Macias+blocks+a+punt+at+the+Hesperia+game.+

RJ Macias blocks a punt at the Hesperia game.

Olivia Good, Writer

With week two of varsity football wrapped up, the St. Louis Sharks are off to a rough start to their season. With a loss at home against Grand Rapids Calvin Christian in week one, followed by a loss on the road against Hesperia, the Sharks are 0-2 and looking for a win. 

Head Coach Julian Paksi, commented, “I feel like our team has grown through the past few months.” Paksi also said his team has been doing well on learning the quickness of the game, but they need to work on their focus on the game. “When we step on the field we say football, and for the next two hours (we) are all about football,” commented Paksi. 

One thing Paksi thinks has been affecting the team’s playing is how young the team is. Paksi was asked about any outstanding performances during the games, and he brought up two of their main players, Thomas Zacharko and RJ Macias. “Thomas and RJ are our leading players and do a lot for our team,” commented he. 

Assistant Coach Keno Hill also had a lot to say about the team. He commented that they have a strong defense, but need to have a stronger offense to protect the quarterback. He added, “We have a lot of lowerclassmen, but we have good senior leadership. We have to develop and get experience. I do not believe in excuses.” 

Coach Hill agreed with Coach Paksi on the strong performances from Zackarko and Macias, but he also had a lot to add. “Wisdom Zanquo and Joshua Dew have been playing well. Jonathan Flores has never played before, but he is playing at a high level,” commented Hill. He also believes that some of the freshmen have been very impressive. 

The Sharks will be back on the road to Michigan Lutheran Seminary Sept. 9, and kick-off is at 7 p.m.