Shark Scene

• November 5Girls' XC 10th at state; Libby Munderloh and Mikenna Borie earn all-state honors!

Fresh school year, fresh freshman

Demetrius Alspaugh poses for a comical photo, depicting a humerous and outrageous scenario where he is shoved into a locker.

Lily Hindenlang

Lily Hindenlang

Lily Hindenlang, Staff Writer

A new year calls for a new bunch of freshmen. Although people talk about the freshmen quite a bit, do they really know them?

Demetrius Alspaugh describes being a freshman as, “high school is what I expected it to be, but there are some twists and turns that really mix things up for me. For example, I expected us to have a choice about which classes we could take, but I didn’t expect that you could be moved up into more accelerated classes other than just math like in the middle school.” He added, “I didn’t really have any fears going into the high school. I was just really excited to go into a new school and everything because I like new places and people. It’s just fun being in a new place. It’s a great place to hang out with friends. It’s also a great place to learn new subjects that you have never learned before.”

Demetrius enjoys spending his time tinkering with technology. He stated, “I want to go to college for video game designing, and I want to go into coding which is also video game designing.” He has great goals to pursue in the future that pertain to lots of technology; more so of coding which is computer programing. However, he also has huge goals to achieve and aspirations here at SLHS. These include helping the person next to him and possibly being top ten of his class by the end of his high school career.

Lastly, Demetrius added, “If I was giving advice to an incoming freshman then I’d say, try to achieve the big goals and be the best that you can be.”

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Fresh school year, fresh freshman”

1. Austin on November 8th, 2018 10:08 am

Lily I think you did a great job on this topic. I just have one suggestion, maybe try and add more quotes from different kids. That way you have more examples of what it is like to be a freshman.

2. Rafael Orta-Vazquez on November 8th, 2018 10:09 am

I think this a really good article. It really describes what the person thought when they interviewed them. I have to agree with Demetrius Alspaugh, high school is fun and also provides challenges along the way. I thought that this was another well written article.

3. Hunter Salladay on November 8th, 2018 2:47 pm

Hey Lily! I found your article to be well put together, as well as a breath of fresh air as I am a freshman myself. Perhaps others would have let freshman be freshman and allow them to be viewed the way they generally are today by upperclassmen. However, I feel as though Demetrius shouldn’t have been the only one interviewed and featured in the article. As a whole, the article was great! Keep up the great work!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Fresh school year, fresh freshman

Features

A classic debate: Marvel vs. DC

• Fresh school year, fresh freshman

Features

Face of kindness and hard work: Ms. Everitt

• Fresh school year, fresh freshman

Features

Remember when…..

• Fresh school year, fresh freshman

Features

It’s never too late to get involved!

• Fresh school year, fresh freshman

Features

From Denmark to the Middle of the Mitten, we welcome: Freja Sonderup

• Fresh school year, fresh freshman

Features

All the way from Brazil, SLHS welcomes Gui

• Fresh school year, fresh freshman

Features

New face at SLHS: Mr. Bernia!

• Fresh school year, fresh freshman

Features

There’s a new face in SLHS: Andrew Snoblen

• Fresh school year, fresh freshman

Features

Shark Cards being sold at SLHS!

• Fresh school year, fresh freshman

Features

SLHS welcomes new face to the Shark family: Ms. Long

The Student News Site of St. Louis High School
Fresh school year, fresh freshman