SLHS Steel Band puts on a great performance for the town!

Autumn Mann

The Steel Band puts on a great performance with many fun and upbeat songs.

Jason Pierce, Writer

In the music world, there are many different genres. Some people prefer to listen to classical music, while others prefer to listen to rock or country. However, one of the best ways for those genres to be played is on steel drums. St. Louis High School hosts a variety of events throughout the year. One of the most popular events in the spring is the Festival of Steel.

Tuesday, April 26, the students of St. Louis High School attended an assembly and got to witness a performance provided by the steel bands from many music groups playing a large variety of songs. 

The gymnasium became a large show as the steel band’s from St. Louis, Alma, Breckenridge, and Roscommon all displayed their hard work in playing  a few songs such as  “We’re Not Going to Take It” and “Come As You Are.” Junior Grant Bebow commented, “My favorite song to play was ‘Tainted Love.’” The assembly received plenty of applause from staff and students as many found it quite enjoyable. After their amazing performance at the assembly, they went on to play some more songs later in the evening after school in the gymnasium where more people could continue to listen to their hard work before their journey that weekend.

Later in the evening at around 7:00 pm, back in the gym, the different groups of steel bands played more music for a broader audience of people. Several students, staff, and other members of the community were able to attend the evening performance that allowed the bands the opportunity to play more of their songs including “Hot Stuff,” “Save Your Tears,” and several others. The show the bands put on was concluded with thunderous applause. 

It was then the responsibility of the St. Louis steel band to prepare for the trip they were taking to Hastings, and then to Ohio. Senior Korah Honig remarked, “I am so grateful that we got to host a festival this year. My freshman year was my first Festival of Steel, and it sparked my love of steel band. We didn’t get as many bands as last time, but it was still a great time meeting other musicians and having a great time playing music”