SLHS boy’s and girls’ Track team pushes their way through a tough Invitational at Clare

Nate+March+sets+a+new+PR+in+the+800+with+a+time+of+2%3A09.47+at+the+Clare+Invitational.+

Autumn Mann

Nate March sets a new PR in the 800 with a time of 2:09.47 at the Clare Invitational.

Adry Munoz, Writer

The St. Louis High School boys’ and girls’ track teams competed at the Clare Invitational Friday, April 29th. 

This was the team’s first meet with great weather and even greater competition, which set the tone for a day with new PRs and stellar performances. There were D2, D3, and D4 schools all in attendance at this meet. Overall, the girl’s team finished third place on the night while the guys were fifth out of 10 schools. 

Starting off the day was Natalee Hoyt medaling in pole vault taking third place. Hoyt also medaled in both the 100-meter dash and the 4×100 meter relay later in the meet. The 4×800 team of Jaiden Dickman, Payton Kuhn, Mikenna Borie, and Libby Munderloh took first place with their time ranking them third in division three. Munderloh also took second place in the 200-meter dash, with a time of 26.97 (season record.) Adding to this, Munderloh had a new PR in the 300-meter hurdles, with a time of 48.43.  The girls 4×400 relay team had a great night taking first place and shaving eight seconds off their PR with the lineup of Monika Borie, Dickman, Adry Munoz, and Munderloh. Their time of 4:20.77 puts them third in division three. Kaya Munoz, who ran a new PR in the 400-meter dash, stated, “I thought the meet went good for everyone, and I am happy that I ran a faster time in my 400 than usual. The weather was also great and set a new pace for the rest of the night.” 

On the boy’s side, the meet began with Ignatius Jackson taking third place in the 100-meter dash receiving a medal. The boys 4×800 team of Landon Pestrue, Nate March, Ben March, and Craig Bebow also snatched first place on the night. Then Nate March had a day in his individual events as he placed first in the 1600-meter run and 800-meter run. He set a new PR in the 800 with a time of 2:09.47. Pestrue also medaled in 1600 taking 4th place. Ben March was another distance medalist as he took third in the 3200-meter run. Bebow stated, “The meet went pretty good with the competition we were up against plus we had to perform without a couple of guys who were at steel band that weekend.” 

Just like the girl’s side, the boys had a great run in the 4×400 relay. The boys got second, but ran strong and also ended with a season-best PR of 3:46.39, losing to winner Clare by just 4 seconds. The team consisted of Bebow, Nate March, Jackson, and Michael Baysah. 

The Sharks will be on the track again Wednesday, May 47, at the TVC Dual Meet at Hemlock.