SLHS girls’ and boys’ Track and Field wins in exciting dual meet against Ithaca

Jaiden+Dickman+waits+on+the+track+for+her+event+to+start.+

Autumn Mann

Jaiden Dickman waits on the track for her event to start.

Autumn Mann, Editor

St. Louis High School girls’ and boys’ Track and Field took home a huge win against Ithaca at the dual meet on April 27th. The girls’ won 84 while the Ithaca girls scored 53 and the boys won 71 to 66. 

The girls did a great job taking first in eight events that day along with many setting personal records! In the 200-meters, Libby Munderloh took first right along with Adry Munoz who placed 2nd. The next event was the 300 hurdles with Monkia Borie took first place and Lilly Massaway was 2nd. Moving on, the lady sharks’. took first in the 4×100, 4×200, 4×400, and the 4×800 relay. The next event was pole vault with Natalee Hoyt taking first place. Last but not least, was long jump with Lilly Massaway in first place then Kiersten Wenzlick in 2nd followed by Maude Zolue. Massaway and Wenzlick both beat their PR in long jump. Massaway got 14’2 while Wenzlick jumped 13’2. Jazsmin Harbor expressed, “I feel like our team dominated overall. Though it was a bit chilly, the sun was shining and it was a great day to compete. My favorite part was cheering on the guys 4×4. It was really fun to cheer with the team to support the guys.”

The boys also put up a big fight to bring home a win! The boys were first in eight events as well. Starting off with Ignatius Jackson was first for the 100-meters and scored first in the 200 meters as well. The boys also scored first in 110 m hurdles with Conner Daniels in first and Will Erikson in second. Moving on to the next events, the boys took first in the 4×100 and the 4×200. Ben Dousuah took first in shot put and discus followed by Colby Taylor, in both events. Taylor also beat his PR with a throw of 106’3 in the discus. The final event that the boys took first in was pole vault by Walker Aldrich. 

Although some may have not placed the highest in events, many raised up and beat their personal records at the Dual meet! Both the guys’ and girls’ track team accomplished great PRs! 

Some PRS for the girls’ team, was Payton Kuhn in the 400-meter dash with 1:16.75, Natalie Lemert in the 800-meter with a time of 6:10.81, Abby Dice in the 3200 meters with a time of 13:49.98, Kiersten Wenzlick in the 100m hurdles with a time of 19.24, Brook Campbell with a distance of 30’5 2.5 in shot put along with Mikayla Haag with a PR of 19’4 and Abby Francisco with 18’2. Another great PR was Monkia Borie with a height of 4’10 and Payton Kuhn with a height of 4’6 in high jump. Haag expressed, “ Ithaca was a really good meet for me to able to focus on my skills and really focus on only my performance instead of worrying about what everyone else was doing. The PR I made at Ithaca was honestly a really good starting point and being able to even get there was rewarding as well.”

The boys also made great PRs, starting with Martine Wiggins in the 100 meters with a time of 12.85 and a PR of 27.29 in the 200 meters. Craig Bebow beat his own PR with a 1:00.32 in the 400-meters. In the 800-meter, many of the boys beat their PRs: Landen Pestrue ran 2:21.23, Hunter Salladay with 2:36.86, Alexander Hardy with 2:37.42, and Dylan Luft with a PR of 2:41.68. Hardy also beat his PR in the 1600 meters with a time of 5:48.85. The Next great PR was Conner Daniels in the 300m hurdles with a time of 48.37. Within Discus, many of the boys beat their PRs: along with Taylor, and Dominick Girard with 80’2, Eduardo Memije-Ramirez with a distance of 58’4, and Grant Bebow with a distance of 58’4. Conner Daniels had a PR of 5’2 in high jump. The final PRs of that day were Martine Wiggins in long jump with a distance of 17’8.5 and Will Erickson with a distance of 16’3.