Come on Michigan, it’s snowed enough already!

Autumn Mann

Two SLHS students gaze outside at the snow in disgust.

Jason Pierce, Writer

With a few weeks left of winter, there is much anticipation for springtime and what it brings, like longer and warmer days, but most importantly no more snow days.  Snow can be fun for snowball fights, or sledding, but it has been around long enough for the year. With the weather starting to warm back up, all of the snow keeps melting and turning the ground into mud, and to make it worse, we keep getting days where the temperature plummets and freezes everything over, which causes some issues.

As much as I personally want the snow gone, I do know that snow can be fun for as many reasons as it is annoying. When there is a plentiful amount of snow you can go build snow forts or snowmen and get into snowball fights with your friends. I think the best part of winter is throwing your younger siblings into snowbanks and watching them crawl out of them.

With springtime on the horizon, we are starting to see more green and longer, warmer days. Signs like these are making people excited for the end of winter and the coming months leading up to summer. However, transitioning into spring can be frustrating because all of the melting snow turns the ground into a deep mud that I always see cars get stuck in. This can be a big inconvenience to the everyday person, and it could be over with if it stopped snowing and melting, making the ground muddier.

A problem with the temperature going up and down as often as it has been, is how it affects the environment. The main issue with this is how it affects the roads, covering them in sheets of ice. Icy roads are an obvious-enough problem, but unfortunately, road salt doesn’t stay on the road itself. As snow and ice melt, the resulting water runoff carries road salt into bodies of water, and this has a negative impact on the environment by being toxic to aquatic life; even low concentrations can produce harmful effects in freshwater ecosystems.