SLHS welcomes new face to the Shark family: Ms. Long

Emily Harrier

Ms. Long, new face at SLHS, poses for a photo.

Emily Harrier, Staff Writer

After losing yet another gym and health teacher, Saint Louis High School hired Miss Kristen  Long to fill the gap left unoccupied by her predecessor for this year.

“Yes! I have been ready, and I am very excited to teach at St. Louis High School! Go Sharks!” Long said when asked if she was ready to sink her teeth into this new job.

Ms. Long graduated from Durand High School in 2012 and went on to graduate from Wayne State University with a bachelor’s degree in kinesiology, which is the study of human and non-human body movement. She student taught high school and middle school health and physical education before taking her first actual teaching job at SLHS.

Along with teaching, Long also coaches at SLHS. She assistant coaches the girls varsity basketball team. Also, she helps coach the high school and middle school cross country teams.

Ms. Long has a history with athletics. She was on the Wayne State University cross country and track & field team from 2016 through 2017. Also, she was on the Wayne State University women’s basketball team from 2012 to 2016.

“Students should be prepared to learn material that will help them be successful in their everyday life! There are many projects we will be working on within groups, as well as, discussing a variety of health topics. This includes life skills, fitness, nutrition, substance abuse and alcohol, growth and development, etc. Students will learn a lot of information on health, fitness, and a person’s overall wellness (including their own)!”  Long commented.

Long also plans on staying at SLHS longer than three years, unlike her predecessor. She has a goal to be the best teacher she can be for her students. She wants to create a fun learning environment and to give students all of the knowledge on fitness and health to the point where they can learn to live a healthy lifestyle.  Also, the most important thing is that she wants to teach her students how to be a good person and to always give their best effort.

Overall, Long is an enthusiastic new teacher who is excited about teaching students about health and physical education. SLHS is very lucky to have such a wonderful person joining the faculty and staff.