Swinging into the new school year: SLHS Golf takes down the competition

Modestie Hitchcock

Allison Taipalus lines up her shot.

Modestie Hitchcock, Staff Writer

The St. Louis varsity girls golf team took first at their very first TVC West Jamboree outing of the year Sept. 7, at the Pine River Country Club in Alma.

“It was a great day for our team. I’m super proud of how how we took charge of the first TVC outing and how we made a statement. It was a tough course, and the course conditions weren’t the best due to all of the rain, but we battled through and still came out on top. I’m glad we beat Shepherd and took first place. I hope it sets the tone for the rest of the conference outings.” says senior Alexis Beeson.

With a flooded and long course ahead of them, the team did not let that get in their heads. The team shot a 191 overall beating their rival Shepherd by an outstanding one stroke. Starr Hansen led the team with a 46, followed by sophomore Skylar Rodriguez pulling through with a 47. Alexis Beeson and Olivia Anderson closely followed by both shooting a 49.

Prior to Alma, the successful team golfed in the 18-hole Ithaca Invitational Aug. 24, at The Fields Golf Course. Excitingly, the girls brought home Coach Biehl’s first ever trophy, a first place out of 21 teams. All together, they shot a 376. Individually placing third was Modestie Hitchcock, shooting her personal best, with an 88. Following closely behind was a 94, shot by Anderson, Hansen shot a 96, and Allison Taipalus had a 98. They all medaled in the top 15.  

To start off their season, the team golfed at the Grand Traverse Resort Golf Course Aug. 16, and 17 competing against 38 teams. They golfed 36 holes throughout the two day tournament and shot a 406 on day one and a 391 on day two showing huge improvements.

Coach Biehl stated, “So far this season, I would say our trip to Grand Traverse Resort for the Lober Classic has been the team highlight. It was a great bonding experience, and the girls got to golf two beautiful and challenging courses and be up against some of the toughest teams in the state.”

The Lady Sharks also placed 6th out of 20 Aug. 30, at the Patriot Cup Invite in Frankenmuth. Not only did they finish with a great score and finish, but they once again, were victorious over their rival Shepherd. Taipalus and Hitchcock led the team each with a 92. Beeson was closely behind with a 94, and Hansen shot a 100.

For the next five Wednesday’s, the team will be competing throughout Mid-Michigan in the TVC West Jamborees in which scores from each outing will be added up and the conference champions will be decided after all six outings are complete. The Shark Classic will also be hosted by The Lady Sharks at Hidden Oaks Golf Course for an 18-hole hole tournament Sept. 12.