St. Louis High School Drama Club Auditions Begin!

SLHS+student+prepares+their+audition+for+the+new+play+in+Drama+Club.+

Autumn Mann

SLHS student prepares their audition for the new play in Drama Club.

Brooklyn Elsea, Writer

St. Louis High School is back in business with Drama Club! With auditions around the corner next week, actors and actresses alike are ready to show off their talents to the school. Every year during the spring, T.S. Nurnberger Middle School teacher Mrs. Wood helps direct SLHS’ Drama Club play. 

I’m very excited to go back to the drama club. Last year was definitely different and was something we had to adapt to with all of the zoom calls and such, however, it was still very fun,” said Mikayla Haag. “One thing I’m excited about is being able to work on something I enjoy and spending time with different people. I’m pretty nervous about auditions, but I know Mrs. Wood is very understanding and I’m looking forward to doing the play with her,” Haag added.

The announcement for Drama Club included the audition packet talking of the rehearsals and audition dates. Auditions are being held virtually and in person. In-person auditions are held Tuesday, Feb. 22, until Wednesday, Feb. 23, in Mrs. Woods’ room at T.S.N. Video auditions are to be submitted by 3 p.m, Thursday, Feb. 24, to the google classroom (code provided in packet). The packet also stated that callbacks are the Monday after all audition deadlines. Rehearsals are to be held Mondays – Thursdays from 3:30 – 5:30 in the SLHS cafeteria. As the packet says, this year the performance for Drama Club will be performed live!

“I’m very excited about this season of Drama Club!” Mrs. Wood said. “Every year I’m always impressed by the talents our students have. It’s so fun to see everyone up on stage! There are a few things I’m most looking forward to this year. The first is the return to traditional theater in front of a live audience. While last year’s virtual show was a fun new experience, there’s nothing that compares to the atmosphere of performing a show live on stage. The second thing I always look forward to is just getting to work with the club again. It’s so much fun to see returning faces each season as well as welcoming new faces into our program. I love watching the growth that happens as students discover new talents, passions, and confidence on stage. There’s a home for everyone in Drama Club! Anyone who is interested in acting even a tiny bit should consider auditioning and joining the cast! For people who want to be involved but don’t want the spotlight, I would love to have them join our stage crew (more information will be available about crew positions around mid-March). For everyone else, come on out and see our show! We will be performing Little Red Riding Hood (and the Power Mutants) Friday, May 13 at 7 p.m. and Saturday, May 14 at 2 p.m.”

You heard it from the director! Never be afraid to go out and audition. The more the merrier!