Varsity Boy’s Basketball Hosts conference against Standish Sterling

Autumn Mann

SLHS’s Ignatius Jackson warms up for the game.

Adryana Munoz, Copy Editor

The varsity boys basketball team hosted Standish Sterling in a conference matchup Friday, Feb. 4. The Sharks came up short with a score of 67-48. 

Now for the game action. The first quarter was a little rocky for the Sharks as Standish earned a 17-5 lead pretty quickly. The Sharks made up some points, but Standish ultimately kept their momentum going into the second half 39-18. 

Both teams quickly gained fire in the last quarter, but Standish came away with a 19 point lead shutting down the game. 

Demetrius Alspaugh stated, “This game started off with Standish taking the lead, and we never recovered it. I think our team tried hard but just couldn’t come out with a win in the end. I hope in future games we will start playing to the best of our abilities, helping our team come together.” 

Leading the sharks was Ignatious Jackson who had a great night with 23 points and 10 rebounds. 

The theme for this game was blue and gold to celebrate the “Oxford Strong” movement; supports the students and families involved in the Oxford school shooting that occurred three months ago. On Friday, schools all over Michigan honored Oxford High School in any way they could. Leah Chvojka and Mrs. Everitt coordinated the Oxford Strong event here at SLHS. Fans and players wore Oxford Strong T-shirts and warmups in support. The pom’s team also wore the shirts for their halftime performance.

Eighty percent of sales will go directly to the Oxford Community. Commercial Bank donated $200 and Central Michigan Youth for Christ donated $400 toward the apparel the students wore for the game. 

The Sharks next compete Tuesday, Feb. 8, against Bullock Creek at the Shark tank.