SLHS Senior Korah Honig Awarded Volleyball Player of the Year of Gratiot County!

Korah

Honig adds yet another achievement to her collection.

Aaron Bowerman, Writer

Korah Honig, student athlete of St. Louis High School was awarded Volleyball Player of the Year for Gratiot County and has shown great success in other scholarships.

Honig has a long history in the sport of volleyball. She started at the young age of nine and has been working her way to the top, playing varsity volleyball all four years of highschool. So what makes this accomplishment so much better than others? In her own words Honig states, “I’m very honored to receive this award. It felt amazing to be recognized for my accomplishments. I am very thankful to have been able to play varsity volleyball for four years. Receiving this and the all-regions award was truly the greatest way to finish out my high school volleyball career.”

Not only has she put in the work on the court, but she also has proven her worth in the Michigan High School Athletic Association Scholar Athlete Award. This scholarship is sponsored by the Farm Bureau Insurance Agency. Athletic Director Bryan Anderson stated, “In the term Student Athlete the word student is not to be taken lightly. I’m very proud not only for Korah, but also for all our student athletes. It says a lot about those who participate in our program. I’m also proud of Korah’s commitment and dedication not only to the sports she has competed in but also the importance she has placed in academics, especially as she will be competing at the next level.”  

Multiple Athletes from SLHS qualified for this, but only six were nominated. From the six, only Honig was selected as a finalist. She competed against 288 other contestants in this phase of the scholarship. This program will award 32, $2,000 scholarships; three of which will go to Class C girls. Further voting will take place in February to determine who takes home the cash. The contestants will be recognized at a home Michigan State University basketball game. 

This is not Honig’s only success in the academic field; she has also been selected as a semi-finalist for Indiana Tech’s Presidential Scholarship. Only four students receive this scholarship each year, which pays for full tuition up to four years. On average, that saves the students $107,960. She was selected for this out of 111 other applicants and now will be moving on to the interview stage to compete against six other semi-finalist from her college of study. This stage begins in February and will require Honig to interview with the Vice Presidents for Academic Affairs and Student Affairs and her respective college dean, which is determined by her major.

In addition, if Honig is not awarded the Presidential Scholarship, her exceptional progression through the application process has put her in position to qualify for other scholarships as well. These include a four year tuition award, $5,000, and other scholarship opportunities. This scholastic year has been great for Honig, and she continues to look forward to more opportunities in the future.