St. Louis Girls’ Varsity Basketball Team Hosts Ithaca

Ed Courter

SLHS’s Natalee Hoyt plays tough defensive on an Ithaca player.

Adryana Munoz, Copy Editor

The St. Louis girls’ varsity basketball team hosted rival Ithaca Wednesday, Jan. 26, and it was a battle all night for the flag and the girls came up short by a score of 54-29. 

The Shark tank was crowded, and the student section really showed up for their lady Sharks! Starters for the game were Natalee Hoyt, Josie Schrot, Kiersten Francisco, Kerrigan Wilson, and Monika Borie. 

The Sharks seemed to battle with Ithaca all night not being too far behind the Yellowjackets at the half. The guards from both teams had a good night with most of the points being from the outside. 

Unfortunately, Ithaca had a great second half with key scorers who led to them taking the win. Schrot had a good night and led the Sharks with 20 points. Jaiden Dickman added six points. Borie added fire on the defensive side with six rebounds and four steals. 

The JV girls, on the other hand, took the win against Ithaca. The Sharks were ahead of the Yellowjackets all night. The team had a hot second half never letting Ithaca take the lead. The team never looked back, and this momentum led to them snatching the win from their rival. 

Sophomore Emma Worthy had a great second half playing great defense and scoring some from the outside. 

Worthy stated, “It felt pretty good to win against our rival on our home court. I really didn’t know if we were going to win or lose. It was hard to tell. We had the lead most of the game, but we just had to keep it. Our team worked really hard and took the win.”

Worthy added, “My favorite moment of the game was making four threes from the outside. I wasn’t expecting it at all, but it was a fun experience.”

The JV team ended the game 34-21.