Jay Puffpaff: Coach of the Year

Adry Munoz

Coach Puffpaff poses with just one of his many plaques over his career.

Adry Munoz, Copy Editor

It’s been a great year for St. Louis Cross Country. The boy’s team repeated as state champions and are also three-time regional champions. The girl’s team was also regional champions and earned the highest grade point average in the state. However, this amazing season just got even better. Each year, The U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) chooses a coach from each state in the United States for High School Cross Country Coach of the year. 

This year, St. Louis’ own, Jay Puffpaff was announced as the High School Cross Country Coach of the year for the state of Michigan. This is a huge achievement for Mr. Puffpaff as this only selects one coach out of the entire state to receive this award. (including all four divisions!).

Puffpaff has been coaching here at St. Louis for many years. He has had many different achievements throughout his career that lead up to this award. He has two state championships, meets, and too many invites to count. 

Puffpaff stated, “With so many outstanding cross country coaches in the state of Michigan, it was a tremendous honor to win this award. This award is a testament to the dedicated athletes that we have in our program. It was the student athletes’ hard work that earned this award. I have been blessed to coach some of the most amazing student-athletes over my many years here at SLHS.”

Puffpaff added, “It is my goal as a coach to help the student-athlete strive to be the best version of themselves. The goal is progress, not perfection. No one is perfect but we can all make daily and disciplined progress in becoming a better version of ourselves. Our mission in the program has always been to build strong hearts and fast feet. If we can accomplish this goal, we can accomplish amazing things on the cross country course and in life.”

According to a member of the boy’s cross country team, Nate March, “He has definitely earned it.  He has put in a lot of hard work and time to put up with us.  We drive him absolutely crazy, and he has always treated his runners with respect and has been an absolutely spectacular coach and friend.”

March added, “He has been a great mentor to me. I will most remember that he has taught me not to worry and just trust the process no matter what. I am very thankful for everything he has done for me and our entire team.”