St. Louis wrestling beats out #4 ranked Pine River in first opening of the year

Bobbie Marr

Martine Wiggins pins his opponent from Pine River.

Aaron Bowerman, Staff Writer

The St. Louis’ wrestling team beat out the number four ranked Pine River in their first opening meet of the year Saturday, Dec. 8. 

This meet helped to determine standings for the team state meet. In wrestling, eight regional winners move on to the team state finals where they are seeded and a bracket is set up to determine the order of matches for the tournament. The team fared well against Pine River, crushing them in a 55-49 win beating out the fourth best team in the state in Division four. This really helped the team as it put them in a good position for the bracket settings later in the season. 

However, as the dual progressed Hart was not to be out done. With the Sharks losing momentum Hart  made a stand and didn’t let the Sharks back in the match. Craig Bebow, a senior wrestler stated, “The meet went better than what I thought it being my first meet back on the team since freshman year. I was a little nervous.” A few outstanding performances for the night were Colin Kuhn, Robert Long-Terwilliger, Justice Onstott, and Braden Ball all of whom went 2-0. Coach Kuhn stated,  “I was nervous about the hour and a half bus ride to compete against a perennial  powerhouse in their home gym, but our guys seemed unaffected, and performed beyond expectation.” The next time the boys will be out on the mat is Saturday December 11.