SLHS welcomes veterans at the 2021 Career Fair

Autumn Mann

Veteran Nick Gibbson showcases one of his maps from his time on the field.

Lilly Spencer, Writer

A couple of veterans, Gail Janasik, Nick King, Nike Gibbons, and Tim Anderson came to St. Louis High School on Nov. 11 for not only veterans day but for the career fair as well. They talked to many different students on how joining the military might be the right path for students, after high school. 

While in the library, the veterans were talking about how in the military there are people from many different cultures and nationalities. People are forced to work closely with a very diverse workforce. 

According to Genaro Soto, “It made me realize there are many more options for not just me, but everyone I know.” 

Aside from the veterans’ panel in the library, recruiters were also available in the cafeteria. “They gave me information on my living expenses and how they would help me,” said Emilee Debolt. They also talked about how joining the military can help with student loans and different things for colleges. Even after they are out of the military, benefits are still available.

“They made me realize there is a lot more to the military than just conditioning. You build a tight bond with the people like a sports team,” said Tekoha Henry. They talked about how you can join the military for several different jobs like becoming a cook, mechanic, and many other things. 

After years of not seeing fellow Fallujah veterans, Anderson and Gibbons attended a reunion and said they never skipped a beat to meet with old teammates.  Some of them would have even moved closer to each other. 

“It did not necessarily make me want to join. However, it helped me to realize that it is always a good option if I do change my mind,” said Hannah Brandon. They covered that even if right now you don’t think you would ever want to join the military, that it is always a good backup plan. 

They did a really good job describing how training is and how they had to go through military camp. There are different levels of boot camp, and each period revolves around a blend of tearing recruits down and then later building them up.

They also helped students see if they don’t want to join right after high school, but instead, go to college and still can later join the military. Navia Navarro said, “I want to go to college after high school, but then join the military and be an officer.” 

Even if the students that did not want to join the armed forces still took something from the panel’s speeches and stories, they should have a lot more respect for what these veterans have been through. They choose to sacrifice their lives for their families and us citizens. Bethany Bowerman said, “I don’t want to join the military, but their speeches were very vivid and showed me how much they do for our country.” 

It is clear to see that the help of the veterans who came to St. Louis High School has helped some of the students see what other paths there are to take.