The Grisha Series strikes the interest of SLHS students

Brooklyn Elsea, Writer

There have been many book series growing in popularity, one being the Grisha series. This series consists of Shadow and Bone, Ruin and Rising, and Siege and Storm. The series is a young adult fantasy adventure written by Leigh Bardugo, written in 2012.

Eliza (last name unknown), the founder of the Dusk Angle Reads website, summarized and reviewed the first book, the cover, the characters, and the writing of the book. “Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite – the Grisha. Could she be the key to unraveling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free? The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him. I enjoyed this book but did have a couple of issues with it, mainly in world-building and understanding of the book. Hopefully, everything is cleared up in the next book though! Definitely want to continue on with this series,” said Eliza as she finished her review.

The series for Shadow and Bone premiered April 23, 2021, and was developed by Eric Heisserer. There are currently eight episodes on Netflix. Although season two has been announced, the actors and producers have yet to announce when they will start shooting. According to Fansided, “While season 2 was announced a while ago, we haven’t heard of any cameras rolling just yet, although Ben Barnes did hint that the show could be filming again in 2022. ‘I’m hoping we go back at the beginning of next year and shoot,’ he said on the Open House Party podcast this past September. If Shadow and Bone season 2 doesn’t film until 2022 — and no one seems certain of exactly when it might begin — then the earliest we could see new episodes would be later that year, and we wouldn’t be shocked if the premiere date didn’t slip into 2023.”

“I enjoyed the effort they put into the show. They made sure to keep season one accurate to the book, but there is a big change I am still questioning,” Junior Sarah Corson said. 

“For a film adaptation, it is. The timeline is kept mostly intact. The writing for the show is admirable because the parts that changed didn’t really disrupt the timeline set in the books, and characterization was kept intact,” Senior Sarah Simmons said. “The books remain my favorite because of the little moments allowed that a show doesn’t have time for. The show does not quite give me the same feeling the series did, though the show hasn’t had the time to get too deep into the heads of most of the characters and the early plot has lower fantasy by necessity. The subplot about Inej’s freedom in the show prematurely shows emotional development that doesn’t come to fruition until the last book of Six of Crows so the payoff will be diminished, but if I say anymore I’ll spoil it so I digress,” Simmons added.

A few books have been turned into films in the past few years, but fans are usually disappointed with the layout or how the producers changed it. According to fans, Shadow and Bone seemed to stick to the book pretty well.