There is a new addition to St. Louis Highschool: the spirit rock!

Seniors+Adry+Munoz+and+Korah+Honig+spend+their+afternoon+painting+the+spirit+rock.+

Kevin Kuhn

Seniors Adry Munoz and Korah Honig spend their afternoon painting the spirit rock.

Korah Honig, Writer

St. Louis High School received a spirit rock from the class of 2022  Thursday, Oct. 7, just on time for homecoming week.

Spirit rocks are a longstanding tradition dating back to the 1950-60s. These rocks are usually donated by a senior class for the future generations. The rock is then repainted throughout the year for different events such as homecoming, holidays, graduation, and big games. Sports teams are known to touch the spirit rock before a competition for good luck.

Mr. Kuhn and Mrs. Biehl had the idea to bring a spirit rock to St. Louis to help boost school spirit and pride around the building. The rock was a gift from the class of 2022, and they are very excited to be able to leave such a nice gift behind for the future students.  Freshman Lauren Devine is excited about having the rock for years to come. She said, “It’s a cute rock and I’m excited to help paint it in the future. Senior Kaylyn Collins thinks that the rock is a great present to bring spirit. She commented, “Being able to bring that in during our last homecoming week has made it very memorable, and I hope that it brings the younger classes inspiration throughout the years to paint awesome things on it.” 

Dice Excavating was a huge part of St. Louis acquiring the new rock. They had to borrow a skid steer because theirs was being used. They then transported the rock, which weighs more than a ton, and placed it on the concrete slab (which was poured by the St. Louis High School Maintenance staff). Massaway Painting donated exterior acrylic paint for the rock, and Sherwin Williams donated high-quality brushes.  Seniors Adryana Munoz and Korah Honig were able to be the first to paint the rock. Mrs. Biehl was really glad to have the spirit rock on time for homecoming, and the volunteers did not disappoint with the deadline.

The first paint job showcases the words “SLHS Class of 2022” over an eye-catching bright red background.  Who knows what it will look like next?