SLHS Language Arts team had its first completion Sept. 30

Language+Arts+team+sits+together+while+going+over+their+competition+material.+++

Language Arts team sits together while going over their competition material.

McKenzie Reid, Writer

The SLHS Language Arts team had its first competition Thursday, Sept. 30. The team was taken via bus with Ms. Erin Busch-Grabmeyer to the Ithaca RESD Thursday morning. This year’s team consists of juniors Abigail Conn, Sarah Corson, and McKenzie Reid; sophomores Carson Butcher, Rowan Harris, and Samantha Simmons; and freshman Kayla Myers. Out of each of the language arts teams at the competition, St. Louis’s team looked pint-sized. While other schools took up two or more tables, the Sharks didn’t have enough people to fill up one whole table. Results for the teams won’t be back until the next competition, so teams will wait eagerly until November on the results.

“Our team did great! They were very creative and ready to work and focus,” says sophomore Carson Butcher. “I was nervous at first because [the competition] was held in a building I’ve never been to,” he adds. The students were divided into two groups amongst themselves. Both groups were responsible for writing one short story each. Butcher’s group consisted of himself, Rowan Harris, and Samantha Simmons. “I am very excited about the next competition!” Butcher concludes.

“I think the team did awesome!” states freshman Kayla Myers. “I’m not gonna lie, I was a little nervous, but mostly excited!” She continues, “I’m ready for the next competition, no matter the topic.” Myers was in the group of juniors, but felt that she had an equal opportunity to contribute to the short story.

“I think we did really well, actually,” says Corson. “I wasn’t really nervous for my team necessarily, but the whole experience was new to me, so it was a tad bit nerve-racking. I am ready for the next competition!” she says.