Drama Club premiers their performance May 21, 2021, virtually

Mrs. Wood

SLHS drama club members are ready to watch their performance as a group!

Jaszmin Harbor, Staff Writer

Lights, Camera, Action! Saint Louis High School’s Drama Club is proud to present Bad Auditions…on Camera, a stay-at-home play written by Ian McWethy and Carrie McWethy. This play premiered May 21. This play is a campy comedy and is about the struggles of casting a hit television show.

The casts are very proud of how the play turned out. Hannah Bobzein was casted as Kellin. Hannah’s Character Kellin was a narcissist who loved acting. Bobzein stated, “This year was my first year of Drama Club, and I loved it. I personally think my performance was amazing and I easily memorized my lines. The performance went really well despite the difficulties of Covid. I personally think Kellin should have won the alternate ending, but it was already decided. This year was absolutely amazing, and I look forward to next year to work with Mrs. Wood and possibly new additions to the drama club.”

Many thought the play was very funny. Kenneth Baker Played Greg and Jeff Porter. Baker voiced, “I feel like myself as well as others did well, considering the circumstances of Covid and quarantines. I did like the outcome of the performance and am very proud of everybody who was involved this year. I feel like we put a lot of time into this and it turned out really well. In the end, I feel that everybody assumed that Kellin (Hannah) was going to get it and everyone was very surprised when it was announced as Greg (me). The best memory that I have of Drama Club was when we raided the prop storage for the whole rehearsal. It was a whole rehearsal of trying on clothes and goofing around. The night of the performance was pretty fun as well. We all went to River Rock before and then we all sat in the cafeteria with a T.V. that was watching the live stream and watched the final product together.”

Lydia Abbott, who is currently virtual, stated, “I played Phyllis in the play. I would describe her as insecure. I loved the outcome; it was totally unexpected and so amazing. I thought Hannah should have gotten her ending. I thought her ending was amazing. My best memory was probably when I started helping Hannah with her scene. It was so much fun seeing her act.”

The Drama Club worked very hard to premiere this play for everyone to see. Mackenzie Strong voiced, “I think we did really well. We had a lot of bumps along the way, but overall the show turned out great. Everyone worked very hard. Personally, I think Gina Marie (me), Kellin (Hannah Bobzien), or Tom (Balin Kolhoff) should’ve gotten the alternate ending. These were so much fun to watch. My favorite part of drama club was having a sense of community between us all. The cast has little inside jokes with each other, and we always had plans to do things together outside of the club. It really became a little family.”

The casts of the marvelous play are Curtis Brashaw as casting director, Robert Long Terwilliger as Roger, Autumn Mann as Tandy, Maria Puga Trevino as Carmen, Evelynn Gutierrez as Wendy, Balin Kolhoff as Tom, And Mikayla Haggas Uma