St. Louis High School Band performs May 13th

Brooklyn Elsea, Writer

St. Louis High School’s band performed May 18, at 7:00 in the SLHS gymnasium. This was the last concert for concert and jazz band, but steel bands will still perform for the SLHS graduation and Highland Festival Experience in Alma.

“COVID presented our band programs with many challenges this year. Though the circumstances were not ideal, I am incredibly proud of my students and feel great about the music we are able to perform,” band conductor Mr. Lawhorne said. Freshman Brighton Buchanan said he was not excited about the concert. He has been in band for four years. His twin brother Noah Buchanan has been in band since the sixth grade, and was excited for the concert and felt learning this year with COVID was easy.

“I was pretty nervous about the concert, but it was pretty fun after my solos,” sophomore Alex Hardy said. “I’ve been in band since seventh grade and played guitar and bass for years before. For band, learning this year was easy. I’m good at music, but in the overall class, I did not do as well.” Hardy explained he felt the concert went really well.  

“I think the band did a wonderful job, and they sounded amazing! I was excited to go and see them perform. I have friends in the band so it was fun to cheer for them.” Sophomore Evelynn Gutierrez said.

According to one of the band members, the concert was recorded, so they recommend watching it.