St. Louis High School gains a new club, Gay-Straight Alliance, for 2021-2022

Autumn Mann

Students show pride and diversity while walking down the halls of St. Louis High School

Autumn Mann, Editor

St. Louis High School recently added a new club called Gay-Straight Alliance! The purpose of this club is to bring a safe space for LGBTQ+ youth and supporters. This club is a student-run organization created to be a link between straight and LGBTQ+ peers of SLHS. 

GSA was brought to the attention of SLHS by Freshman Curtis Brashaw. Brashaw stated, “I have wanted to start a GSA chapter at our very own high school ever since I came out in middle school and experienced adversity from it. Thankfully, I have not had to deal with much bullying, threats, or hateful comments throughout my career as a St. Louis student. However, I know countless others who have faced that, and so I wanted to make sure they had a safe space as well as the future LGBTQ+ students at SLHS.” The advisor of this club, Megan Stowell, expressed, “GSA is a student-led group, so I feel that this will develop more as the group begins and grows next year. Many GSA groups begin as a safe space for students to meet and discuss challenges (and successes) in their lives both in school and out. As the group grows, so do the goals. I think eventually we want to develop awareness campaigns, as well as events that can help nurture an environment that is welcoming to all people despite differences we face.”

As more students come to realize who they are, there is always the battle of both coming out and feeling accepted by peers and the household. GSA is a way for more students to be comfortable with themselves and other students within the school. However, some students feel others may be free and open about their sexuality or gender while there are others who do not; everyone deserves to have a safe open place to vent and talk about certain issues. GSA brings a safe and reliable space that is essential for supporters and members of the LGBTQ community. Brashaw stated, “The GSA is not only for LGBTQ+ students, but it is also for any student who is an ally or wants to make the school a more accepting place. Don’t let other people’s judgment prevent you from living your life.”

The goals of this club are to bring students together to connect. GSA works as a place to talk about various issues within the school’s community such as discrimination or unfairness students may encounter. Students who join this club can take leadership roles to create school campaigns and organized events that bring awareness to issues that happen within the community of LGBTQ+. GSA can help bring more acceptance and diversity within the halls of SLHS. This club is a safe place for members to feel comfortable with themselves and the others around them. Ms. Stowell also said, “As stated earlier, I believe that it helps improve the whole culture of the school. It shows that we are a welcoming and accepting school, and I believe it also helps educate people on areas outside of their personal experiences. Even in a small town in Mid-Michigan, we have a diverse population of students, and all students deserve to have a place where they feel heard. I have been researching GSA as a national organization. I love that their ultimate message is to teach acceptance of all differences because everyone has a perspective and experience that is valid and deserves space, not only in our school but society as a whole.”