Girls’ track dominated at Shepherd invite

Tina Erickson

Girls’ track team beat the competitors at Shepherd invite.

Curtis Brashaw, Editor

The girls’ track team dominated at the Shepherd invite Friday, May 7, 2021. They won with a score of 157. Mt. Pleasant Sacred Heart Academy High School was second with 129 points.  

Several girls placed first in their events; Libby Munderloh in the 800-meter dash with a time of 2:25.80 minutes, Jaiden Dickman in the 1600m dash with a time of 5:26.28 minutes, Jaiden Dickman in the 3200m dash with a time of 11:57.68 minutes, the 4×200 relay team of Munderloh, Adry Munoz, Monika Borie, Chloe O’Boyle with a time of 1:52.23 minutes, the 4×400 relay team of Munoz, Mikenna Borie, Munderloh, O’Boyle with a time of 4:18.65 minutes. The girls’ top scorers were Dickman, Monika Borie, and Munderloh. Later that night, Mikenna Borie returned to the track to run the Elite 3200 and performed incredibly; she ran an all time personal record (PR) of 11:26 minutes. 

Other honorable mentions are the girls’ 4×100 relay who placed second with Natalee Hoyt, Munoz, Mikaila Borie, and O’boyle. Korah Honig also placed second in shot put with a throw of 29-02.00 feet. Monika Borie came in fifth place for high jump with a 4-06.00 jump. Natalee Hoyt received second place in pole vault with 8-00.00 feet exactly.

So far, the season has been going well for the girls. Coach B.J. Tomanek described it as, “one for the memory books.” He continued, “We have been very successful individually and as a team.  I am extremely proud of our team, coaches, and obviously the girls.  They have been willing to put in the work, do a variety of events and for the most part, do whatever is needed of them to help the team.  We really have a great group of kids to coach.  It is the best team production wise, but more importantly, the best team atmosphere we have had since I started coaching here five years ago.  The entire team is pretty invested in how others are doing, and that is important.”

Mikenna Borie did very well, especially with her Elite 3200-meter time of 11:26 minutes. Borie described the Elite 3200 as exciting. She said, “I love running in the Elite 3200 because running against some of the fastest girls in the state is an amazing experience and doing so under the lights just makes it so much better.” Borie thinks that the team performed well at the invite. She continued, “We all stepped up and competed really well against some really fast teams. Overall, I’m really proud of everything our team has accomplished this season. We consistently run really well and we also work together really well so it’s a lot of fun.”