Boys’ track takes fourth at Chesaning Invite

St. Louis runners Nate March (left), Aaron Bowerman (middle), and Keegan Honig (right) get out fast at the start of the 1600-meter race.

Jaszmin Harbor, Staff Writer

Saint Louis boys’ track and field had an away meet at Chesaning High School, April 23. The boys ended up placing fourth out of the eight teams that competed at the meet.

Coach Jay Puffpaff voiced, I thought our guys performed very well for an early-season invitational. We got the opportunity to compete against some very good teams and were able to put down some solid early season performances.”

The boys’ team is still very proud of how they placed. Nathaniel March stated, “Although the team didn’t win, I feel as though we competed to the best of our abilities and gave it 110%. Also, fourth place against D1 schools isn’t bad. I personally placed sixth in the mile with a time of 4:53, and our 4×800 relay team came in fourth.”

Dylan Marr stated, “I think that I did okay at the meet, but I still wanted to run faster. Overall, I think our team did well because we got fourth and there were a bunch of D1 and D2 schools that we were competing against. We still are going to improve and get better as a team as the season continues on.”

Even though they placed fourth, they are still very pleased and will keep working toward their goal. Benjamin March stated, “I did okay. I did kind of get burned at the end by a McBain runner. As for the team, I think we battled hard, but we came up way short of some of those bigger schools that obviously have more athletes and money. As for what I hope for this season, it is state meet or bust.”