Students and staff predict the next Super Bowl champions

Courtesy Photo

Tom Brady (left) and Patrick Mahomes (right) will face off in the Super Bowl.

Keegan Honig, Editor

The matchup for Super Bowl LV has been set. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are going head-to-head against the Kansas City Chiefs Sunday, Feb. 7. The Chiefs come in as the defending champions as they won the franchise’s first Super Bowl in 50 years last season. On the other hand, the Buccaneers have one Super Bowl win under their belt from 2003. It will be an exciting contest, and the duel between Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes is a key storyline of this year’s championship.

Many thought Tom Brady’s career was coming to a close as he moved on from the New England Patriots, but he’s shown that he’s not done yet, making his 10th Super Bowl this year. St. Louis student Payton Kuhn said, “I think it’s crazy that Tom Brady won his first Super Bowl when Patrick Mahomes was in kindergarten. It’ll be exciting to see who wins.”

Some are rooting for Brady and the Buccaneers, but others are in support of the young superstar Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes was the National Football League’s MVP in 2018, and he’s proven to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league. However, some people are unsure of who to root for. Senior Luke Maxwell admitted, “I think that Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs will win, but I want Tom Brady to win so that he can retire and get out of the league because I’m sick of him.”

It will be an exciting matchup for Super Bowl LV. Either Brady will add championship ring number seven, or Mahomes will further his already-impressive legacy since entering the league a mere four years ago. The craziest part about this matchup is that Brady is 18 years older than Mahomes, and they both are competing at the highest level. Junior Kiersten Francisco commented, “It’s kind of ironic people say Patrick Mahomes will be the next Tom Brady, and they’re playing each other.”