Seniors give advice for SAT practice

Keegan Honig

A student practices for the SAT by utilizing Khan Academy.

Alexandra Pawlitz, Staff Writer

The SAT is a standardized test widely used for college admissions in the United States. Normally the SAT is given to juniors around mid-April, but due to COVID-19, the SAT was rescheduled and former juniors were now required to take the test as seniors, which they did Oct. 14, at St. Louis High School. 

The purpose of the SAT is to measure a high school student’s readiness for college, and also provide colleges with one common data point that can be used to compare all applicants. The score from the SAT is extremely important when applying to colleges and the higher the score, the better. 

Many students use Khan Academy as a tool to study for the SAT since Khan Academy is linked to College Board, which is the administrator of the SAT. This year’s seniors have provided some advice for the upcoming test takers.

Keegan Honig mentioned, “My advice for students who haven’t taken the SAT yet is to take advantage of Khan Academy’s SAT prep materials. It’s linked to College Board, so it will tell you how you did on the PSAT, and it’ll tell you exactly what you need to work on. I wish I used it more than I did because it is extremely helpful.” 

Brooke Barrett included, “If you’re going to be taking the SAT, I would recommend not waiting until a few days before to start studying. It’s not fun to cram all that information while studying. I also recommend using Khan Academy because they have tests you can take to help you prepare, but if you wait until the last minute, it’s not as easy to use these tools.” 

As a senior, my advice for the upcoming test takers is to be over-prepared for the SAT. The more studying a student does, the more likely they will have a high test score on the SAT. I highly recommend using Khan Academy as well because it not only tests you on the skills you are struggling with, but it also gives you mini-quizzes and explains why the answers you chose were wrong. I used Khan Academy last year during WIN and I used it extensively before I took the SAT, and now because of it, I feel confident that I did well. Another important thing is to get a good night’s sleep because if you are energized in the morning, it will impact your performance. The SAT is six hours long and if you are tired during the day, you most likely will not perform as well as you should have.