Girls’ and boys’ cross country earn Academic All-State

Courtesy Photo

Aaron Bowerman earned Academic All-State honors with his performance at the state meet.

Keegan Honig, Editor

Both the girls’ and boys’ cross country teams earned Academic All-State honors for the 2020 season. Performing in the classroom and not just in athletics is extremely important, and these teams are great examples of aspiring student-athletes.

Coach Jay Puffpaff shared, “It’s a tremendous honor to earn Academic All-State as a team. I am extremely proud of our athletes as it’s a testament to their hard work on the course and in the classroom. It shows that they have bought into the process of doing things the right way and embracing the responsibilities of what it means to be a student-athlete.”

The girls had an outstanding average GPA of 3.873 to earn the honor. Additionally, four athletes earned individual honors as well: junior Mikenna Borie, junior Libby Munderloh, sophomore Laney Pestrue, and senior Mikaila Borie.

The boys’ team achieved an average GPA of 3.687, improving the average from last year, in which they also earned Academic All-State honors, with a 3.126. Athletes who were individually recognized with honors were senior Keegan Honig, junior Aaron Bowerman, and sophomore Dylan Marr.

Bowerman declared, “Cross country is a very competitive sport in the class and on the field. It’s a great honor to be Academic All-State. It was amazing to have so many of our runners be Academic All-State.”