Volleyball wins on senior night against MLS

The Sharks also matched up against Standish-Sterling in away game

Senior Delainee Zacharko serves the ball. Zacharko has been apart of the St. Louis volleyball program all four years of high school.

Keegan Honig, Editor

St. Louis varsity volleyball had a busy week with league matches against Michigan Lutheran Seminary (at home) and Standish-Sterling (away) Monday, Oct. 26, and Wednesday, Oct. 28. The Sharks were able to take a win in four sets against MLS, but they fell short to the Panthers of Standish-Sterling in three.

The varsity girls went head-to-head against the cardinals of MLS at the Shark Tank, and they won the first two sets 25-23 and 25-12 respectively. They lost the third set in a close game, with the final score being 25-27. The Sharks pulled it out the fourth set with a dominant 25-9 final score.

Ellie Gager shared, “I thought that as a team we all played really well. It was senior night, so I thought it was really important that we all came together as a team to win. It was also a really good feeling to have a student section cheering us on. Overall, I think everyone played really well, and I’m so proud of our team!”

The Sharks weren’t as dominant against Standish-Sterling as they lost in three sets; 16-25, 25-27, and 20-25. Senior Macie Salladay shared, “We started off super slow, and it ended up being what really put us down. We had a few good leads, but we just couldn’t quite find our groove.” 

With stats combined from both nights, Korah Honig had 29 kills, five digs, five blocks, three aces, and two assists. Alexys Rodriguez contributed 47 assists, six digs, four aces, and three kills. Delainee Zacharko added 12 digs, nine aces, nine kills, and two assists, and Chloe O’Boyle had eight digs, seven kills, six aces, and four blocks. Additionally, Salladay helped with seven kills, seven assists, six aces, and six digs, and Kiersten Francisco had 18 digs, 13 aces, seven kills, and one assist.

The Sharks will be back in action Saturday, Oct. 31, at New Lothrop. Then they will be playing Monday, Nov. 2, at Ithaca for districts. Salladay added, “We are putting in lots of time in the gym to get ready for districts. We play Ithaca first, so we are really trying to stay mentally focused and work on finding our chemistry on the floor.”