The unique story of St. Louis’ own Aaron Bowerman

Keegan Honig

Aaron Bowerman strokes his mustache while admiring the 2005 cross country State champions trophy.

Keegan Honig, Editor

There are many unique students who roam the halls of St. Louis High School. Many are incredibly interesting and enjoy differentiating themselves from their peers. One of these students is Aaron Bowerman, a junior at SLHS, who is known around the school as an outstanding student and athlete. However, what sets him apart from the rest?

Bowerman leads a life different than most of his peers. He is a runner, and he can always be seen running around town no matter the weather or time of day. He is extremely committed and runs all year long to be able to perform at his best once cross country or track comes around. This dedication is what sets him apart from a lot of other athletes.

He shared, “Running means dedication and hard work because everybody can run; the difference between someone who is successful and someone who just runs is the work you put in and how hard you try.”

In everything he does, Bowerman goes above and beyond. He is a part of Spanish Club, and recently they sold chocolate bars to raise money for their trip. Bowerman took it upon himself to become the ultimate salesman and sell as many boxes of chocolate as he possibly could. He was witnessed before school, between classes, at lunch, and after school selling chocolate bars to students, teachers, parents, or anyone else who would buy them. In total, Bowerman sold 22 and a half boxes.

Chloe’ Baxter said, “He cornered me in the parking lot when I was leaving for golf, and he convinced me that it was no hassle to accept only change because I had no bills. He’s still the only person who convinced me to buy from him even though I didn’t want any chocolate. I’m very impressed by his sales tactics.”

Bowerman is a very interesting individual. He is a self-proclaimed “history buff” and has read a lot about past wars and conflicts. Additionally, he enjoys strategy games, such as Risk. He also shared that he enjoys tinkering and doing hands-on work. He stated, “When I’m not doing homework, I’m probably in the garage dissecting a mortar.” He also added, “Fun fact: I have my own anvil at home.”

Music is another thing Bowerman enjoys as he is a part of multiple bands at SLHS. He plays the trombone in Jazz Band and Marching Band. When it comes to listening to music, Bowerman said, “To be honest, I’ve never voluntarily listened to a rap song. Instead, I enjoy listening to classic rock and artists like Bob Seger.”

Furthermore, Bowerman has some goals for his future. He stated, “I hope to go to college if I could get a good deal somewhere with running and academic scholarships.” He also shared, “I hope someday to come back to St. Louis High School to give back to the cross country program that’s given me so much in my life to return the favor. I also hope to eventually become mildly famous and to live life happily and never get stuck somewhere I don’t want to be.”

Many of Bowerman’s peers know him as a very dynamic and spontaneous person. He has a very entertaining personality and has a great sense of humor. Furthermore, he described his sense of style as “whatever nobody else is willing to do.” 

One of Bowerman’s close friends, Korah Honig, shared, “You never know what Aaron is going to do next. You think you know the guy, and then he shaves his hair to look like a Jack-o-lantern.”

There are many things that highlight Aaron Bowerman’s personality. His academic and athletic achievement, sense of humor, and choice of hobbies truly makes him stand out from the crowd. One unique hobby of Bowerman’s includes facial hair. In fact, he said, “I’d be willing to bet I spend at least three hours a week stroking my mustache.” This quote truly shows his unique personality better than anything else. And that sums up the story of the man, the myth, the legend: Aaron Bowerman.