Football dominates Valley Lutheran at home

Senior Blake Siefka makes an impact as quarterback for the Sharks this season.

Keegan Honig, Editor

St. Louis varsity football competed against the Valley Lutheran Chargers Friday, Sept. 25, at Wheeler Field. The Sharks dominated all game, and they took a 48-8 win.

The Sharks led early with a 10-yard completion from Blake Siefka to Cade Pestrue in the first quarter, and this gave St. Louis their first score of the game. Then, the Sharks kept going at the Charger defense by scoring a total of seven touchdowns throughout the game.

Blake Siefka shared, “I think we’re going to have a good game this week because we came out on top the week previous, and I think it was a confidence booster needed to send us forward.”

A highlight of the game was when senior Trae Garcia ran in a 92-yard touchdown. Garcia stated, “I was just running on adrenaline. It’s the most amazing feeling knowing that you are about to score on a huge run, and getting to celebrate with your brothers just makes it that much better.”

Touchdowns were scored by Pestrue, Garcia, Avante Taylor, and freshman Joshua Dew. Taylor’s touchdown was also a major highlight of the game as it came off an incredible blocked punt. Garcia led in rushing yards with 146, and Andrew Taipalus led in receiving yard with 30. Additionally, Taylor and Luke Maxwell led in tackles with six apiece, while Ben Dousuah added five, and Thomas Zacharko contributed four.

The Sharks competed again Friday, Oct. 2, at home against Ithaca.