SLHS seniors practice for upcoming SAT

Keegan Honig

An SLHS student prepares for the upcoming SAT.

Kay Stites, Staff Writer

The SATs are coming up fast. Due to the statewide shutdown last year, the SATs were postponed until Oct. 14, 2020. The Pre-SAT testing for Sophomore and Juniors has been set for later in the month (Oct. 29, 2020). Students at SLHS are scrambling to prepare for their tests. Many students have voiced concerns about not doing well, while others have been pretty laid back.

According to an online SAT website, Cappex, “If you get a composite SAT score of 1083 or more, you are above average. The 75th percentile composite SAT test score is 1215, the 90th percentile is 1340 and the 95th percentile is 1410.” Those big numbers can be pretty intimidating, but don’t let that fool you. 

As said by Ellen McCammon from PrepScholar, “The lowest possible score on either section is 200 points. So if you got 200 points on Math and 200 on EBRW, you’d have a total of 400 points. In other words, the minimum SAT score is 400.”

Jennifer Brown said, “I’ve been trying to study for at least ten minutes every day on Khan Academy, and taking PSAT tests. Aside from this, I continue to challenge myself and my critical thinking skills in my day-to-day life in numerous different ways.” She followed up with, “The stress comes and goes. Some nights I lay awake in bed thinking about it and stressing over how I will do. The majority of the time I feel pretty good about how I will do.” She also talked about her past. 

Brown has been preparing for this test since kindergarten and even if she scores low, she can always take it again. “The score will be a factor for the scholarships I receive. It has become less important to colleges for admittance, but because it will still be a factor, I want to do the best I can. I feel like the score will be important since I’m going into the field of medicine, so this score could help me get a foot in the door.”