Science Olympiad competes at Haslett Invitational

Courtesy Photo

The Science Olympiad team took 22nd place.

Ethan Wilson, Staff Writer

Saint Louis High School students attended the Haslett Science Olympiad Invitational Feb. 29, at Haslett Highschool. 

At the invitational, there were 23 events. Saint Louis High School took 22nd out of the 26 teams. They scored a total of 497 points with their best events being code busters, fossils, machines, and ornithology. 

Owen Downs said, “There were a lot of big schools at this competition. I’m not going to lie, it was a bit intimidating at first, but when I started participating in my events all my nerves went away. Overall, I had fun, and I think I did pretty well at each event.” 

There were 26 teams competing at this event, although most of the schools had multiple teams. For example, there was an East Lansing Blue and an East Lansing White team. There were nine schools that had two different teams competing at the event. 

Saint Louis students who went to this event were Faith Owen, Owen Downs, Aaron Bowerman, Dawson Brundage, Demetrius Alspaugh, Jasmine Pontius, Alex Baxter, and MJ Kenneth.

Mr. Stedman said, “Competition was high at this competition. Again, missing a few key people in our group, it makes it hard for us to compete. I am proud of my young students taking advantage of this and completing their tasks. The team that won this competition will be winning at state for sure.”