Woodshop finds various ways to serve the community

Kaylyn Collins

SLHS Wooshop built 26 miniature wooden houses to help local fire departments.

Kaylyn Collins, Staff Writer

Recently, Saint Louis’ own high school woodshop class made a total of 26 wooden houses for local fire departments.

Woodshop teacher Mr. Maxwell said, “The wooden houses were made to teach firemen how smoke and fire respond to airflow. It started out being a project for my seventh-hour Intro to woodworking class, but, because of the quantity, I also included my sixth-hour cabinet making class. We live in a society that is for the most part all about self. I believe that we exist in this world to serve others, and one of the ways that I choose to teach that is by making things for other people.  In our case, those other people are our community. Our community does so much for us in what it provides. It’s my desire to teach others to give back.” Maxwell added that the woodshop provides learning in a real-life application. 

The woodshop class will now continue building cabinets for Schnepp Health Care, and after that, they will start building tables and chairs for the local library. 

Mackenzie Seevers said, “I’ve been in woodshop only since the beginning of this year. My favorite part about building the wooden houses was that they were for the community, and they’d help with the fire department training.” Seevers added that she has definitely learned that it’s way better to give than receive.

Kayla Vine said, “I have been in woodshop since the beginning of this school year. My favorite part of building the wooden houses was drilling the holes on the side of the houses. It was super messy and the wood pieces hurt, but it was exciting. I have learned how to work and communicate better with others. Something I can take away from this experience is how much better it makes me feel by giving to others.” Vine stated that taking woodshop was one of the best ideas she’s ever had. 

Woodshop is only one of the many great electives you can take here at Saint Louis High School.